googleads

Friday 27 November 2009

Flower Rag Rug Crochet

Here we have the results of my experiment with the various shapes that can be created and achieved with rag rugs. Here I began with a circle for my rag rug tutorial you can read it here
179-7961_IMG I decided to try out making a flower as it isn’t something that I’ve seen before in the rag rug world. I love the whole practice of working with recycled fabrics and sustainability. I love the exploratory nature of design and construction. The rugs themselves become little works of art that will last for years and years to come. No one has been exploited in the process and no materials are wasted.
I happen to think they are particularly interesting and pretty to boot. I recently set up a group on flickr for other rag rug makers to contribute to. Please do go and have a look there if you are interested in rag rugs either to look at or to make. You can find the group here
179-7962_IMG
Here is the rug before I had a play with the photograph.

For more exclusive patterns and handmade creations please click here http://www.folksy.com/shops/Thesunroom

3 comments:

KAT said...

That is so pretty. I'm glad you showed us a pic before you played around with the pic. LOL! Rag-rug crocheting is something I'd like to try in the future. I do not sew, tho, so I have no leftover fabrics - and I do not look forward to having to cut 1" strips. ;-o

Mrs Twins said...

This is really lovely. I just love the colours.
Hugs and Love Sue x

Liz said...

I'm not sure whether everyone might be able to find something like this, but thought I'd mention it in case. I made a rag rug myself and found the time cutting the fabric quite frustrating. However, I was then lucky enough to find out that near where I live, in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia there is a fabric factory that sells big bags of strips of offcuts, only $4 for a massive bag, still recycling and no cutting required!!! So, particularly for non-sewers who don't already have rags anyway, asking a fabric factory could be a lead, if you have one anywhere nearby. The one near me also sells offcut pieces of material, so if you are not lucky enough to have one that sells the strips, you might at least be able to find some rags to cut yourself.